{the story of a girl}

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

All or Nothing

This picture has absolutely nothing to do with today's post, but I'm longing to lie on a tropical beach and warm myself. It's about 55 degrees right now (which is warmer than when I spent the holidays in Utah) but I can't seem to get warm.

In thinking about what resolutions I wanted to make for 2009, I realized something. My goals don't have to be all or nothing. After all, life isn't all or nothing. I'm not going to say "I will eliminate all soda and simple carbs" or "I will never, ever cuss again" because, truthfully, I will drink a soda, I will eat a cookie and I will talk blue when I'm stuck behind a snowbird doing 25 in the fast lane of the freeway. That's just my life.

However, I can resolve to make better food choices. I can resolve to work out more often. I can resolve to watch my language. No perfection there...I'm simply trying to be better. It's when we restrict ourselves to black or white that we often fail at our goals. Indulge a little bit. After all, life was meant to be enjoyed as well as endured. As long as I make good choices over bad choices most of the time, I consider myself a success.

Which leads me to this: What are my goals for 2009? What do I hope to accomplish by NYE 09?

* I hope to become healthy and fit
* I hope to use better language to express my anger/frustration/amazement
* I hope to be kinder and gentler to those I care about
* I hope to live more in the moment, letting go of my insecurities and embracing life

Now I just need to find the energy to begin. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Nikki said...

2 words for you....anti-depressant!! Supposed to have an "upper" in them to get you going!!! I need that "go ahead and get going" fire lit under my butt too. I like your thinking though...I can live with the trying part. Some days, it's all I can get done is just to try. I love it! Thanks for the insight.

9:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home