{the story of a girl}

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Path

The realization that I could very well spend the rest of my life alone is sinking in and the ramifications of that conclusion are plentiful. There are the 'good': (I can do whatever I want in life); the 'bad': (I will always be alone with no one will take care of me when I'm sick); and the 'ugly': (I have to take out the garbage myself- forever!). For now, I am focusing on the 'good.'

I set the course I am currently on some years ago. A career and school. I'm working hard to obtain my undergrad and focusing on grad school for library science. But lately I've been rethinking that course. It would be silly to quit now when I am SO CLOSE to being done with my bachelors and I really won't do so. But grad school is a different story. I'll be 35 when I graduate with no husband, no kids, no real ties outside of the financial (house, debt, etc.). A little thought has taken root in my mind, thanks to random blogs and adventurous people in my life. "Why not explore and travel while I can?" For crying out loud, 35 is not THAT old. And I'm still young at heart.

So the new plan I'm considering is this:
  1. Finish school. It's free. Having a bachelors degree is good.

  2. Work on eliminating as much debt as I can (pretty close except for student loans from the first try at college).

  3. Keep the Beetle instead of trading it in and pay it off.

Then, in two years, I will graduate, sell the condo, take the equity and pay off what is left of my debt. Move to a Caribbean island, live in a hut (or even a trailer) on the beach. Teach English to the locals, waitress at a bar, whatever. Learn to scuba dive. (Yes, I have an intense, irrational fear of open water. I will just have to get over that.) Live on island time.

Sounds pretty good to me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nikki said...

And me! I'm in. 2 years. Luke will be 6. Perfect. In school full-time. I'll come home on the weekends!

4:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home