{the story of a girl}

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Sleepy Hollow

Ever since I read Washington Irving's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow when I was a girl, I've been enchanted by this little village in the Hudson Valley. Over the years, I've lusted after all things "Hollow", even though the artistic quality of some items (movies, books) might be questionable. Sleepy Hollow is just one of those quirky things I love.

Since it is now October (officially my favorite, and busiest, month of the year), it's only appropriate that I share my Hollow finds with the blogosphere.

First, you have to go back to where it all starts. With the actual Legend by Mr. Irving himself.

Then, you will have a frame of reference with which to explore the village of Sleepy Hollow and Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. And while you are there, don't forget to visit Mr. Irving and the Old Dutch Church.

And what trip to the Hollow would be complete without participating in Legend Nights?

If you still want more Hollow, check these out:

Sleepy Hollow- one of my favorite all-time movies. The ambiance Tim Burton creates in this film is absolutely stunning.

The Hollow by Jessica Verday- a first novel by a YA author. A little slow to begin with but a fun, light read.

The Hollow- When I first saw this on ABCFamily Channel, it was definitely a B movie but fairly decent. When I ran across the DVD for $3, I bought it. And realized that ABCFamily had edited it for content (translation: there are some questionable scenes and content). Wish I could find the TV version.

So there you have them...all my SH references. Is it weird that I want to get married in the Old Dutch Church (being Dutch and all)...which just happens to be located in a cemetery? You make the call.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home