{the story of a girl}

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Style File

I admit, I watch movies as much for style as for entertainment. I love to see set designs and wardrobe choices. Nora Ephron is a favorite for cute, sweet stories with set designs to match and Colleen Atwood is, by far, one of my favorite designers. Attention to detail is one of my downfalls, so I notice little things like set and wardrobe design in movies. Yes, it can get annoying being distracted by a particularly lovely desk set and miss the entire plot of the movie.

This morning as I was trying to decide what to wear (it's gray, rainy, and gloomy), I envisioned what my perfect wardrobe would consist of. And, curiously, the lead characters in two movies stood out: Sandra Bullock in Practical Magic and Catherine Bell in The Good Witch and The Good Witch's Garden. I say curious because both characters are witches living in small towns with similar physical attributes (dark eyes, long-ish brown hair) and both have a simple, classic style that I would love to emulate. In fact, when compared with my own style, I would have to say it's closer to The Good Witch than Practical Magic. Lots of classic, solid colors with splashes of funky, antique, unique accessories. But the prints Bullock wears in Practical Magic are so down-to-earth they can't be discounted.

Other favorites? Julia Roberts in Stepmom; Liv Tyler in Armageddon (what I wouldn't give for her dresses in that film, especially the wedding gown); Nicole Kidman in Bewitched; Kate Beckinsale in Pearl Harbor; and Reese Witherspoon in Just Like Heaven, Sweet Home Alabama and Walk the Line.

What was the point of this post? I don't know, really. Just random musings from my somewhat cluttered mind.

Oh, and speaking of Practical Magic, check out the house style here. And I'm really loving that chair in the picture up top.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home