{the story of a girl}

Friday, August 27, 2010

Age 33

It's a couple days too late, but I feel the need to document all that occurred during the year I was 33 (which was my 34th year). Things such as:
  • Bought my first home.

  • Sustained a soft-tissue tear in my shoulder (because I am stubborn and needed to move a substantial rustic-pine armoire all on my own).

  • Ended an extremely complicated friendship/relationship with a guy who meant so very much to me.

  • Traveled to Utah for Halloween goodness with the Turners.

  • Spent Halloween in Greer at a beautiful cabin and went horseback riding.

  • Started dating again.

  • Began seeing "Joe."

  • Began to see a counselor.
  • Started dating (again) the friend of a friend.

  • Lost touch with the friend of a friend.

  • Went to Disneyland!

  • Did the HCG diet and lost 15 pounds before throwing in the towel.

  • Broke my foot.

  • The Beetle experienced a blown timing belt to the tune of $6,000.

  • Was without the Beetle for one month.

  • Traded in the Beetle for the Tiguan.

  • Finished five more classes towards my degree.

  • Took the Tiguan up to Bear Canyon Lake camping and romping (had to break it in).

  • Went to Wyoming. Met a guy. A really nice one. My age. Who I have every intention of seeing again in four weeks.

  • Went kayaking for the first time. By myself. (And loved it.)

So there is Lindsy-at-33 in a nutshell. It was a hard year. One filled with triumph and heartbreak and physical pain. I accomplished a lot and not all of the tasks were pleasant. I let go of someone who meant a great deal to me, stepped out of my comfort zone on several occasions, learned invaluable lessons, and essentially came out on the other end a much better person.

Two days after turning 34, I wonder what this year holds? I'm already planning on a visit to Jackson in four weeks, going to Vegas for a wedding in five, and possible SLC for Halloween. I desperately want to pierce my nose and am going for a consultation appointment next Tuesday. And maybe, just maybe, 34 will see me finally graduating with my BA.

Like New Years, my birthday is a turning point, a new beginning. On January 1st I vowed to evolve this year. To let go of insecurities and "issues" and enjoy being the woman I am. And I have. I am. I still struggle with many things but I feel more comfortable in my own skin than I have in a decade or so. I'm opening my heart up to others, including men (which is scarier than hell). All the things I fought so fiercely for the past several years are being realized: owning my own home, finishing my education, etc. It's time to determine a new path.

And that's what 34 is going to be all about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home